Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Why I "Hear" John Degen

John Degen, is a Canadian author with a blog. He is an active blogger, posting many thoughtful pieces, that I try to read when I can (he is on the links I post here at Northworthy).

One aspect of active blogs is the proximate additions to the blog by others, in comments or in links to the blog. John in his comments shows a willingness to discuss his blogs but those I admit to seeing occasionally, but don't often "hear."

Why do I "hear" what he first writes?

He writes with craft, using imagery, to create a story to his points.

I listen to stories.

I am there wherever he takes me.

Todays was exceptional with an unexpected ending.

To me, if some of these blog posts were looked at "competitively" as they do score points, I can only relate this to one sport, baseball, the sport where the game itself is subtle.

John has hit 3 home runs in the past 2 weeks with me, in the greater "Copyfight" wars, a battle ground I partake in on the fringes but with the respect for the author as a sacrosanct raison d'ĂȘtre to the copyright legislation in the first instance.1

On a director's / Author's / Producer's right to be in control "right to the nipple" in free Kate's nudity.

On the protection of the artists' expression -"Respect the text"- in the subtleties of censorship.

And this one, is out of the park and still sailing: on how an author should legally and morally respect a prior author's work, in context of private and public use on "Intellectual Property Lines," in following on.


Speaking of the subtleties of censorship, this is an overt "see and hear" aptly performed by Canadian band Frozen Ghost, "Should I See," written by the phenominal Arnold Lanni, released in 1986.

This is timeless, great musically (to me) and visually; very appropriate to our times [note Google's YouTube has a publishing deal].




1. Publisher's had bought authors' work but other publisher's were making copies of that owned work, the competition destroying any publishers bid to make a return on their investment: the solution was to protect the purchased work from the author, to enable authorship and a viable publishing industry for the benefits of all, civilizing a moral code previously existing only amongst authors.

No comments: